Cape May County DWI Lawyer Defending Clients Throughout South Jersey
DUI Criminal Defense Attorney in Cape May County
Have you been charged with driving while intoxicated, driving under the influence or a DWI in South Jersey? Whether you have a good driving record and no prior convictions for any criminal or traffic offenses, or if you have one or more DWI convictions on your record already, you need an aggressive and experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side.
I am John W. Tumelty, a Cape May County attorney with more than 30 years of criminal and DUI law experience. I am a former deputy attorney general with the New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice and a former assistant prosecutor with the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office. I am also a New Jersey Supreme Court-certified criminal trial attorney. If you have been accused of drunk driving, contact my law firm today for a free consultation, I’m available 24/7.
The penalties for DUI (driving under the influence) and DWI (driving while intoxicated) offenses can be very serious. If you’ve been arrested for DUI or DWI in Atlantic City, Ocean City, Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor, Wildwood, Atlantic County, Cape May County, or another area within New Jersey, you should understand all of the defenses that may be available to you.
These defenses as a DUI or DWI defendant vary. Below is a look at some common DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving cases that I work with and am available 24/7 to take your call.
Answering Your DWI Questions
Did the police have a right to stop my car? Will I be able to get my license back? Will I go to jail? I can answer your questions about any of the following topics:
- DWI penalties: If you have been charged with DWI, you could be facing serious penalties, especially if you already have a drunk driving conviction on your record.
- Driver’s license suspension: In New Jersey, if you are convicted of DWI, your driver’s license will definitely be suspended for at least three months and possibly much longer.
- Blood alcohol content (BAC): One major way that prosecutors prove DWI charges is through test results showing blood alcohol content: the percentage of alcohol in your bloodstream.
- The Alcotest machine: This breath test machine is now used throughout New Jersey in DWI cases, so you need an attorney who understands what it is and how it works.
- Drunk driving accidents: If you are accused of causing an accident while driving drunk, you may be charged with vehicular assault or homicide in addition to DWI.
- Boating DWI: In New Jersey, the DWI laws for boating are essentially the same as for driving. I represent many clients who have been charged with boating while intoxicated.
- Underage DWI: Under New Jersey’s zero tolerance law, if you are under 21 and are caught with any alcohol in your system while driving, you can lose your license.
- DWI for drugs: A person may be charged with a DWI if he or she is found to be driving under the influence of a narcotic, hallucinogen or other illegal substance.
- Roadblocks and DWI charges: The police must follow strict guidelines when putting up roadblocks. If you were arrested at a roadblock, I will carefully investigate the procedures followed by the police department in an effort to challenge the legality of the roadblock.
- Breath test refusal: If you refused to take the Alcotest, you could be charged with breath test refusal, a separate offense from DWI that also carries serious penalties.
- Ignition interlock devices: The court may order the use of ignition interlock devices for first-time offenders and is required to issue these devices for second or subsequent DWI offenses.
- DWI court process: I will aggressively protect your interests at all stages of the DWI court process.
- No hardship permits: New Jersey does not allow any type of special driving permit if you are found guilty of a DWI offense. A potential loss of driver’s license is a harsh penalty. You need an aggressive attorney who knows how to successfully defend a DWI case to save your license.
When it comes to investigating your case and preparing your DWI/DUI defense, time is of the essence. Don’t hesitate to contact me today at 609-390-4600 to discuss what I can do to aggressively defend you against New Jersey drunk driving charges. I have offices in Atlantic and Cape May Counties.