John W. Tumelty Logo

Former prosecutor

Now fighting for you.

New Jersey Criminal Defense and DUI attorney
who knows how to navigate the local courts.

Watch our video

Former State Prosecutor and Criminal Trial Attorney

Former State Prosecutor

Former Atlantic County Prosecutor

Certified Criminal Trial Attorney

Experienced for over 30 years

View Criminal Defense ResultsView DWI Defense Results Free Consultation

Atlantic City Juvenile Crimes Defense Lawyer

Defending Against a Wide Range of Juvenile Charges

If your child has been charged with a juvenile offense, he or she could be facing serious penalties, including detention and probation. The prosecutors could even attempt to try your child as an adult, dramatically increasing the potential penalties he or she could receive.

I am attorney John W. Tumelty, an experienced Atlantic City juvenile crimes defense lawyer representing minors throughout South Jersey who have been accused of juvenile delinquency. To schedule a free consultation, call me today at 609-390-4600. I have offices in Cape May County and Atlantic County.

Understanding the Juvenile Justice System

New Jersey’s system of juvenile courts is responsible for adjudicating the cases of minors who are accused of offenses that rise to the level of juvenile delinquency. Your child can be found delinquent if he or she is proven to have committed one of the following types of offenses that, for an adult, would be considered a crime or disorderly persons offense:

Any time a juvenile is accused of any offense, his or her case will initially be heard in juvenile court. However, if a minor is accused of a very serious crime such as rape or homicide, the prosecutor may pursue a waiver from the juvenile court in order to try the child as an adult.

Taking the Right Steps to Avoid a Juvenile Record

Even if the prosecutor is not attempting to try your child as an adult, any juvenile charge is a serious matter that can result in penalties such as juvenile detention, community service, and driver’s license suspension. A juvenile record can also have long-term negative consequences.

I have been practicing criminal and juvenile law for 30 years and am a New Jersey Supreme Court certified criminal trial attorney and former prosecutor.

If you hire me to represent your child, I will carefully evaluate all of his or her options for avoiding a juvenile record, from directly attacking the charges to negotiating for a deferred disposition. Call me now at 609-390-4600 to discuss what I can do to help your child.

Free Consultation

"*" indicates required fields