Atlantic City Assault Charges Attorney Defending Clients in Atlantic, Cape May County, & Throughout South Jersey
Representing Clients From Atlantic City, Cape May and Surrounding Areas
Simple misunderstandings can quickly turn into fights, and all too often, people who get into fights walk away facing criminal charges for assault and battery. These are serious charges that can result in jail time, probation, fines, driver’s license suspension, and a criminal record.
I am John W. Tumelty, an experienced Atlantic City assault charge defense attorney. If you have been charged with simple assault, aggravated assault or any other violent crime, don’t hesitate to contact me for a free consultation. I have offices in Cape May and Atlantic counties.
Defending Against All Types of Assault Charges
Any time you are accused of striking or threatening someone else, even if he or she was not hurt, the police can choose to charge you with an assault and battery offense. The following are some of the most common charges associated with assault:
- Simple assault: If you have been involved in a bar fight, shoving match or other altercation with someone else, you may find yourself charged with simple assault.
- Aggravated assault: Assault is considered aggravated when someone has been seriously hurt or a weapon has been used. These charges carry much harsher penalties.
- Assault by auto or boat: If you have been accused of intentionally or recklessly hitting someone with your vehicle, you may be facing criminal assault charges.
- Aggravated assault on a police officer: Any level of assault on a police officer is considered aggravated and generally treated as a felony criminal offense.
- Self Defense: Self-defense is a defense against violent criminal charges.
- Domestic violence: If you have been charged with domestic assault, you could be facing a restraining order in addition to any criminal penalties you may receive.
- Vehicular Assault or Vehicle Manslaughter: Assault with a vehicle with or without being under the influence.
If you have been charged with assault, I can explain what consequences you are facing and what your defense options are, including any self-defense arguments that may be available.
I have been practicing criminal law for 30 years and am a New Jersey Supreme Court certified criminal trial attorney. To discuss what I can do to aggressively defend you against assault and battery accusations, call me today at 609-390-4600.