John W. Tumelty Logo

Former prosecutor

Now fighting for you.

New Jersey Criminal Defense and DUI attorney
who knows how to navigate the local courts.

Watch our video

Former State Prosecutor and Criminal Trial Attorney

Former State Prosecutor

Former Atlantic County Prosecutor

Certified Criminal Trial Attorney

Experienced for over 30 years

View Criminal Defense ResultsView DWI Defense Results Free Consultation

South Jersey Services for Victims of Domestic Violence

Answers to Temporary & Permanent Restraining Order Questions

If you are caught in an abusive or violent relationship in New Jersey, it is important to know that you have options and that the law provides people with ways to protect themselves and their children in those situations. As an experienced defense lawyer who has seen the impact of abuse on my clients, I know how important it is for those harmed by abuse to pursue the available legal remedies.

I am John W. Tumelty, and for 30 years, I have practiced criminal law in Atlantic City. I can answer any questions that you have regarding how to obtain a restraining order and how to pursue other options of protection. While filing criminal charges is often appropriate, it is also important to have a lawyer represent you in civil court in order to get a temporary restraining order turned into a permanent restraining order.

Don’t take chances with protecting your family. Talk with me as soon as possible about what my firm can do to help when you are faced with such a difficult situation.

South Jersey Services for Victims of Domestic Violence

There are many forms of domestic violence and abuse that can harm individuals and their children. These actions include:

  • Assault
  • Criminal Contempt
  • Criminal Harassment
  • Trespassing on private property or at a workplace
  • Harassing phone calls, e-mails, and text messages
  • Stalking
  • Verbal abuse
  • Intimidation
  • Removing children from the home without permission
  • Threats of harm or death
  • Rape or sexual assault

After filing a domestic violence complaint against an abuser, it is necessary to go to civil court within 10 days. We can help you understand what courts will look at in these cases, including monetary issues and household expenses that may have been incurred. You will understand the process and what to expect out of it.

Contact me today for a free consultation at 609-390-4600.

Free Consultation

"*" indicates required fields