John W. Tumelty Logo

Former prosecutor

Now fighting for you.

New Jersey Criminal Defense and DUI attorney
who knows how to navigate the local courts.

Watch our video

Former State Prosecutor and Criminal Trial Attorney

Former State Prosecutor

Former Atlantic County Prosecutor

Certified Criminal Trial Attorney

Experienced for over 30 years

View Criminal Defense ResultsView DWI Defense Results Free Consultation

Atlantic City Criminal Contempt Attorney Helping Clients in Atlantic & Cape May County

Accused of a Restraining Order Violation?

If you have been accused of violating a temporary or permanent restraining order in Atlantic City, you could end up getting charged with criminal contempt. An experienced attorney may give you your best chance of avoiding a jail sentence on this serious charge.

I am John W. Tumelty, a South Jersey criminal defense lawyer with more than 30 years of criminal law experience. If you’ve been charged with criminal contempt, contact me today for a free consultation. I have offices in Atlantic County and Cape May County.

Exploring All Possible Options for Keeping You Out of Jail

In New Jersey, the courts can grant restraining orders based on allegations of domestic violence. While getting a restraining order put on you does not mean you have been convicted of a crime, violating the order is considered contempt of court, a criminal offense.

Once someone has a restraining order against you, you can get arrested if that person accuses you of making contact or going to a residence that you have been barred from.

New Jersey takes criminal contempt charges very seriously. If you are convicted, you are likely to get a jail sentence, though there are some exceptions. If you already have a conviction on your record, a second conviction carries mandatory jail time.

If you have been charged with criminal contempt based on a false accusation, a misunderstanding or any other incident, don’t hesitate to call me at 609-390-4600,  to discuss what I can do to aggressively defend you from the charges. I serve clients all across Atlantic City, Atlantic County, Cape May County and beyond.

Free Consultation

"*" indicates required fields