John W. Tumelty Logo

Former prosecutor

Now fighting for you.

New Jersey Criminal Defense and DUI attorney
who knows how to navigate the local courts.

Watch our video

Former State Prosecutor and Criminal Trial Attorney

Former State Prosecutor

Former Atlantic County Prosecutor

Certified Criminal Trial Attorney

Experienced for over 30 years

View Criminal Defense ResultsView DWI Defense Results Free Consultation

Atlantic City Restraining Orders Attorney Helping Clients in Cape May & Atlantic County

Temporary Restraining Orders and Alleged Domestic Violence

If you have been served with a temporary restraining order (TRO) for alleged domestic violence, you could be facing very serious consequences, including — if applicable — being legally barred from your own home. You need an experienced defense lawyer on your side.

I am John W. Tumelty, an Atlantic City restraining orders attorney helping clients throughout South Jersey contest domestic violence claims in civil and criminal court. To schedule a free consultation, contact me today. I have offices in Cape May County and Atlantic County.

Protecting Your Right to a Fair Hearing

A temporary restraining order goes into effect as soon as it is granted, meaning that if you violate the order by approaching the accuser or going to a residence you have been ordered to stay away from, you can be charged with criminal contempt, a very serious offense.

You have a right to a civil court hearing within 10 days of service of the original restraining order. At this hearing, you can contest the domestic violence claims against you.

These claims may involve accusations of domestic assault, domestic sexual assault, criminal harassment or stalking. Successfully fighting these accusations at the restraining order hearing may help you avoid getting convicted of criminal charges for the same alleged incident.

A restraining order is a serious matter. You may be prevented from seeing your children. Your accuser may be able to get you arrested at any time just by accusing you of violating the order. If you’ve been served, don’t hesitate to call me today at 609-390-4600 to discuss your defense options.

Free Consultation

"*" indicates required fields